Thursday, September 13, 2012

Resolved: Eat More Salad


I meant to post this back in June, but I got too busy to have goals, apparently. So, I'll just count this goal for my entire summer, since I pretty much practiced it on a weekly basis.

My goal for the summer was to eat more salad. Not just the expected green salad (though I do love a classic green salad) but the kind full of grains/legumes and fresh things so delicious that they trick your mouth into thinking it is munching on something less healthy than it is.

The recipe that turned into my go-to salad (aka I craved it fortnightly) and that I probably made if I was invited to a potluck was this Massaged Kale Salad with Mango & Avocado from Healthy Food for Living:

Ingredients (4 servings)

1 bunch lacinato (dinosaur) kale, leaves torn from the stalks and thinly sliced
1/4 cup Lime Olive Oil, such as Boston Olive Oil Company Whole Fruit Persian Lime (alternately, you can use 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice)
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tsp agave nectar or honey
2 ripe champagne mangos, peeled, pitted, and diced
1 ripe but firm avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/4 cup toasted unsweetened flaked coconut

Instructions

In a large bowl, toss the sliced kale leaves with a small drizzle of the olive oil and a bit of Kosher salt; massage with your hands until the kale softens and wilts, about 2-3 minutes.

In a small bowl or jar combine the remaining olive oil, honey, and salt & pepper to taste. Whisk or shake until well-combined.

Toss the massaged kale with the dressing and add in the diced mango and avocado.

Serve at room temperature topped with the toasted sliced almonds and flaked coconut.

Can be made a few hours in advance.


Kale all freshened up with limes and mango? So simple, and so so good.

Any favorite salad recipes of your own to share?

***

Instead of taking on a whole list of resolutions at once, I'm focusing on one life improvement a month in 2012.

See January's resolution - Do My Hair
See February's resolution - Taking Care of Business

See March's resolution - Clear the Clutter
See April's resolution - Tackle the Craft Suitcase
See May's resolution - Take a Class

No comments: